Pursuant to the state open records law R.I. Gen. Laws Secs. 38-2-1 to 38-2-15, on behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP ("PwC"), I am writing to request copies of the Rhode Island - Treasurer's Office (40)’s financial records concerning unclaimed, uncashed, undeliverable, and/or outstanding funds or obligations due back to non-individuals (businesses), including any and all:
- Checks or warrants issued for payments on obligations incurred by any agency, department, office, or other authorized authority that have remained outstanding.
- Amounts on deposit that are held in trust for recipients whose whereabouts are unknown, including instances in which payment was never attempted, payment was never requested, and/or instances when payments were returned as undeliverable.
Such payments may relate to (but are not limited to) tax refunds/overages/refunds, overpayments, vendor payments, cash deposits, cash escrows, and unsuccessful electronic fund transfers.
- Amount is greater than $999.99;
- Payee retains the right to claim the funds (i.e. The payment has not been replaced, was not issued in error, and/or the obligation to the payee has not been voided by law.);
- Is owed/payable to a business (corporations, partnerships, etc);
- Has remained outstanding for a period of six months or longer;
- Are not in the process of being reissued, to the best of your knowledge; and
- Has not been turned over to a State Abandoned Property Office.
Requested Data Columns:
- Owner name (Required);
- Amount (Required);
- Original payment date (Required);
- Check number;
- Nature of the funds (i.e. vendor payment, property tax refund, etc.); and
- If tax-related:
- Name of the taxpayer and/or intended recipient;
- Account number or property index number (PIN); and
- Tax year; tax installment date; original tax payment date.
Kindly email the records preferably in Excel or CSV format in to me and to Sean Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please copy email@example.com on all email correspondence.
- PwC is NOT requesting records pertaining to the State’s Abandoned/Unclaimed Property Department.
- PwC is only interested in receiving records pertaining to non-natural persons (businesses). PwC is not seeking any records which could invoke a personal privacy exemption.
- None of the information requested by PwC will be used to solicit owners or third parties. If any of the requested information above is restricted by state statute, please provide all segregable portions of otherwise exempt material.
If your agency does not maintain these public records and/or you are not the custodian, please provide me with the proper custodian’s name and email address. Please notify me for approval if there are any costs associated with fulfilling this request.
I will expect your response within the timeframe as specified by state statute pertaining to open records law. If you choose to deny this request, please provide me with a written explanation for the denial including a reference to the specific statutory exemption(s) upon which you rely.
If you have any questions, please contact Sean Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (504) 352-3296.Thank you for your time and assistance.